- Peer-reviewed publications in the ULg ORBI repository (with access to pdf version of the papers by request)
- Associate editor of Ocean Dynamics
- Associate editor of Remote Sensing of Environment
- Associate editor of Scientia Marina
- Guest editor of the Special Issue « Multiparametric observation and analysis of the sea », Ocean Dynamics (2011).
- Guest editor of the Special Issue « Remote sensing of colour, temperature and salinity. New challenges and opportunities », Remote Sensing of Environment (vol 146, pp. 1-234, 2014).
- Guest editor of the Special Issue « ESA’s Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity Mission – Achievements and novel applications after 5 years in orbit », Remote Sensing of Environment (vol 180, pp. 1-464).
- Charles Lagrange Quadrennial Price from the Académie Royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beaux-Arts of Belgium (27th period, 2008-2012)
Research Interests and Recent Work
Go directly to the DINEOF home page
Daily Mediterranean Sea SST reconstruction using DINEOF
Geophysical data sets, such as those obtained from satellites, often contain gaps (missing values) due to the presence of clouds, rain, or simply due to incomplete track spatial coverage. There is a rising need, however, for complete data sets at the global, regional and local scale: several analysis methods, input for hydrodynamic models and data visualization are examples of applications where complete data sets are preferred or even necessary.
DINEOF is an EOF-based method to fill in missing data from geophysical fields, such as clouds in sea surface temperature. Based on Empirical Orthogonal Functions (EOFs), DINEOF uses an iterative procedure to calculate the values at the missing locations. The source code is open and available for everybody (see links below).
Cariaco Basin model
3D hydrodynamic model of Cariaco (Venezuela). See these publications:
- A. Alvera-Azcárate, A. Barth , R.H. Weisberg, J.J. Castañeda, L. Vandenbulcke , J.-M. Beckers. Thermocline characterisation in the Cariaco basin. A modelling study of the thermocline annual variation and its relation with winds and chlorophyll-a concentration. Continental Shelf Research, 31, 73–84, 2011. Request a copy
- A. Alvera-Azcárate, Barth, A. and Weisberg, R.H. A nested model of the Cariaco Basin (Venezuela): description of the basin’s interior hydrography and interactions with the open ocean. Ocean Dynamics, 59:97–120, 2009. Request a copy
- Organization of the 50th edition of the International Liège Colloquium: Long-term studies in oceanography – a celebration of 50 years of science at the Liege Colloquium (2018). Webpage
- Organization of the 44th edition of the International Liège Colloquium: Remote sensing of colour, temperature and salinity – new challenges and opportunities. More info here
- Organization of the 42th edition of the International Liège Colloquium: Multiparametric observation and analysis of the Sea. More info here
- MultiSync – Multi-Scale Synergy Products for advanced Coastal Water Quality Monitoring (2017 – 2019)
- 3D Flow in Calvi Bay, F.R.S.-FNRS Equipment project. Brief article. Descriptive video.
- PI of DINEOF Analysis of SMOS salinity data ESA-STSE project, 2014 – 2016
- Chair of EOS Evaluation of Ocean Syntheses (COST Action) 2014 – 2017
- PI of HiSea (High resolution merged satellite Sea surface temperature fields)
- Partner of Geocolour (Preparation for Geostationary Ocean Colour). Official website of the project in preparation: http://www2.mumm.ac.be/GEOCOLOUR
- PI of BESST (Inter-sensor Bias Estimation in Sea Surface Temperature)
Program of the Master in Oceanography.
Full list of my lectures here
- Satellite Oceanography. First year master and Erasmus Mundus MER master
- Advanced Satellite Oceanography. Erasmus Mundus MER master
- Coastal oceanography. First year master.
- Data acquisition and analysis in oceanography. Second year master.
- Documentation in oceanography -databases-. Second year master.
- Current issues in oceanography. Second year master.
- Methodological approach to oceanography practice. First year master.
Outreach – Miscellaneous