Below is an indicative list of events which the Hugo Observatory has organized and/or participated in. Make sure you check out the sub-tabs for more information on some of our flagship events:
- The Hugo Conference (2016)
- The Hugo Film Festival (2017)
- The Conference on Environmental Migrations in West Africa (2018)
- The EDGE Summer School on Environmental Changes and Migration (2018)
- A series of lectures by Roger Zetter (EDGE Chair in Environmental Diplomacy) (upcoming, November 2018)
- 4-8 September, Liège (Belgium): The Hugo Observatory organised the third and final EDGE Summer School on “Environmental Changes and Migration“. More information here.
- 18-19 July, London (UK): Hugo Observatory Director François Gemenne took part in a panel on “Environmental Refugees? Climate, Disasters and Protection” at the Refugee Law Initiative’s third annual conference on “Refugee Protection in a hostile world?“. More information here.
- 2-4 July, Barcelona (Spain): The Hugo Observatory participated in a MIGRADAPT panel on New perspectives on migration as an adaptation strategy at the 15th annual IMISCOE conference. More information here.
- 24 May, Brussels (Belgium): Hugo Observatory Deputy Director Caroline Zickgraf took part in a panel on “Climate change, its role on displacement of population and humanitarian crises” along with IOM and UNHCR speakers. This panel formed part of a conference entitled “Climate/environmental refugees: towards a possible international definition” hosted by the Group of Progressive Alliance of socialists and democrats in the European Parliament. More information HERE and HERE.
- 14-15 May, Bogis-Bossey (Switzerland): Hugo Observatory Deputy Director Caroline Zickgraf participated in a Stakeholder meeting on “Recommendations for integrated approaches to avert, minimize and address displacement related to the adverse impacts of climate change” organized by the Task Force on Displacement established by the Executive Committee of the Warsaw International Mechanism for Loss and Damage (WIM), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the Platform on Disaster Displacement (PDD)
- 25 April 2018, Berlin (Germany): The Hugo Observatory, as a member of the Data Knowledge Working Group established within the Advisory Committee of the Platform on Disaster Displacement (PDD) took part in an expert meeting entitled “Improving data on human mobility, environment and climate change: Priorities for action“. This meeting was organized by the IOM Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC), the Platform for Disaster Displacement (PDD) and the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC).
- 11-12 April 2018, New Orleans (United States): The Hugo Observatory chaired an EDGE panel on Politics of environmental changes: mapping the interactions between migration, territories and natural resources at the American Association of Geographers (AAG)’s Annual Meeting taking. Information and pictures HERE | Press Release.
- 7-9 February 2018, Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso): The Hugo Observatory organized a conference titled “Environmental Migration : The state of the Research in West Africa” in partnership with the University Ouaga I, and with the support of the Association Wallone de l’Air et du Climat (AWAC). More information HERE.
- 20-24 November 2017, Liège (Belgium): The Hugo Film Festival was organized by the Hugo Observatory with the support of the Association Wallone de l’Air et du Climat (AWAC). It featured 14 movies focused on climate change and migration. Keynote speakers included Mohamed Nasheed, the former President of the Maldives, amongst others. More information HERE.
- 6-17 November 2017, Bonn (Germany): Hugo Observatory members (François Gemenne, Caroline Zickgraf, Pierre Ozer, Dalila Gharbaoui, Sara Vigil) participated in several side events of the 23rd UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COP) . More information HERE.
- 10-15 September 2017, Bratislava (Slovakia): As a member of the EDGE consortium, the Hugo Observatory participated in the 2nd EDGE Summer School “Green (r)evolution” which was hosted and organized by the University of Economics in Bratislava (EUBA). More information HERE.
- 23 May 2017, New York (USA): Hugo Observatory’s Executive Director, François Gemenne, gave an address during the 2nd thematic consultative session of the UN Global Compact on Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration. More information HERE
- 8 March 2017, Paris (France): Hugo Observatory’s Executive Director, François Gemenne, gave a Lecture on Environmental Migration entitled “L’Europe et les migrations environnementales” on the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the Euro, the 30th of the Erasmus Exchange programme and the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome). More information HERE.
- 7-18 November 2016, Marrakech (Morocco): Hugo Observatory members (François Gemenne, Caroline Zickgraf, Pierre Ozer, Dalila Gharbaoui, Sara Vigil, Nakia Pearson) participated in several side events of the 22nd UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COP) . More information HERE and HERE.
- 3-5 November 2016, Liège (Belgium): The Hugo Observatory was officially launched during the 2016 Hugo Conference. More information HERE.
- 4-9 September 2016, Paris (France): As a member of the EDGE consortium, the University of Liège participated in the first EDGE Summer School “Politics of the Earth” which was hosted and organized by Sciences Po. More information HERE.
- 17 June 2016, Hong Kong: The Hugo Observatory took part in the Panel titled “Environmental Diplomacy and Geopolitics in the Pacific Century” during the International Studies Association (ISA) Conference. More information HERE.