In the framework of the Baillet Latour Chair in Philanthropy and Social Investment, hosted by the Centre for Social Economy (HEC-Management School, Université de Liège), a doctoral position is to be opened at HEC Liege. The PhD project will focus on the transformations of philanthropy in Europe.
Using qualitative research methods, the PhD student will address emerging forms of philanthropy that display innovation in their purposes as well in their means. Specifically, the research will investigate the grounds for the transformation of philanthropy in Europe, by focusing on two fields: (1) the said “venture philanthropists” or “impact investors”, with a qualitative investigation of their profiles, motivations and giving practices; (2) the young philanthropists, with an exploration of what the young people bring to philanthropy and how they foster its transformation.
Moreover, the doctoral student is expected to collaborate in a multidisciplinary research team, write articles for international peer-reviewed scientific journals and contribute to some teaching tasks of the Chair. The student will apply to the doctoral school in management sciences, which is organized together with Solvay-ULB and Université de Mons (including a one-year part time doctoral training). Professor Virginie Xhauflair will supervise the research.
The initial appointment will be for one year. After satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years. In addition, the candidate will have to apply for PhD research grant.
- Duration: 1 year, extensible to 4 years after evaluation, starting 1st October 2016
- Conditions: doctoral research grant; the candidate must not have worked more than one year at the University of Liege
- Location: University of Liege (Sart Tilman campus)
Profile of the candidate:
- Holder of a master in Management, Sociology or Social Sciences
- High-quality academic trajectory
- Motivation, autonomy and pro-activity
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent fluency in English (written and spoken) – French and/or other languages are additional assets
The deadline for the submission of applications is 15th September 2016. Applicants should send by e-mail to Amélie Mernier eb.ca1553372999.glu@1553372999reinr1553372999ema1553372999 :
- A full CV with grades for each study year
- A motivation letter of max. two pages describing their abilities and motivations regarding the research topic
- A copy of the student’s master thesis
- The references of two scholars who could be contacted to comment on the candidate’s profile
Please get in touch with Amélie MERNIER, HEC Management School, University of Liege